This is an easy recipe, I came up with it after having something similar at the Tapas Restaurant, La Tasca. It is best if you make it a day ahead so the flavors get to blend. This is one of the things I always make for Christmas Eve. And I usually make enough that we have it as a side dish for Christmas brunch.
- 1 Large red onions.
- 2 28 oz. cans diced or whole roma tomatoes, drained and slightly rinsed. You can use the equivalent amount of very ripe fresh Roma tomatoes. Avoid supermarket tomatoes.
- 1/3 c Olive oil
- 1/3 c Balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp fresh bbasil
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning.
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- Salt to taste
- Dice the onions and tomatoes if using whole ones, and mix with the basil.
- Whisk together the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and pour over the vegetables.
- Serve on sliced fresh Italian bread or Crostini. It's even better if you brush the bread with garlic and olive oil and grill it or stick it under the broiler for a few minutes
I revised the recipe recently to use canned tomatoes, because the tomatoes available in stores, especially in the winter, are usually hard and tasteless, The only way I would use fresh tomatoes is if they were very ripe and from my own garden or a good farmer's market.