Most appetizer recipes are not all that healthy, usually being laced with cheese and other fats. So, here’s a healthy recipe for black bean salsa can be served with corn chips. In the summer I grill the onions and roast the peppers and corn outside on the Weber. The winter recipe is done in the frying pan and is almost as good, but lacks the smokiness added by cooking on the grill. Try this one for a lighter, healthier appetizer recipe.
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers
- 1 16 oz. can black beans
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen corn kernels
- 1 12 oz. jar roasted red sweet peppers
- 1 Medium red onion - chopped
- 1/4 C Chopped cilantro
- Juice of 2 small limes
- 2 tsp. Sugar (to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp. Olive oil
- Heat oil in hot frying pan.
- Saute onion with red & Jalapeno peppers for a couple minutes.
- Add corn and cook over high heat until corn browns a bit.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add lime juice and cilantro, and then salt and sugar to taste.
- Mix together and serve with corn chips.
This is really better if you can cook the vegetables on your grill. Grill corn-on-the-cob until brown and then cut from the cob. Grill peppers until black and then peel and chop. Grill the onions and chop. This makes for a smokier, grilled flavor.