Natalie’s mom has made this as standard holiday fare since day one. Grandpa Matouski always made a trip into Chicago to Minelli’s to buy the sausage. In later years we found a couple of sources for good sausage closer to home.
- 2 lbs. Fresh Polish Sausage
- 2 lbs. Smoked Polish Sausage
- 3 Jars Sauerkraut
- 1 Large Onion
- Olive Oil
- Bake fresh sausage at 350° for 90 minutes in a little water, cover with foil. Then brown at 375° for a little while.
- Bake smoked sausage at 375° for 30-45 minutes in a little water. Uncovered.
- Rinse sauerkraut in cold water and squeeze out all the water.
- Saute the sauerkraut in a little oil and water until slightly brown.
- Add chopped onion and paprika and continue cooking until onion is done.
- Cut the sausage into 3 or 4 inch lengths and combine with the sauerkraut and serve.