I grew up eating these cookies and I often received them in care packages when I was in college. Mom always had a fresh batch when we’d go to Ohio for a visit with the kids. They are as good and healthy now as they were then.
- ½ lb Margarine or butter
- 1 c Sugar
- 1 c Brown sugar
- 2 Whole eggs
- 1 c Chopped dates
- ½ c Walnuts, pecans or almonds
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 ½ c Flour
- 3 ½ c Rolled oats (Quaker Oats)
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- Mix the first seven ingredients first, then add the flour, oats and vanilla.
- Make logs about 10 inches long and 2 ½ inches in diameter. And wrap into wax paper and chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Slice the logs into 3/8 in. slices and place on ungreased cookie sheet leaving about 1 inch between them.
- Bake for 12 – 20 minutes, checking regularly. Cool a bit before removing from the cookie sheet as they are fragile.