This is an old Hungarian recipe that I learned from my mother. Natalie and I were campers before kids and kept up the tradition after kids. We always tried to prepare simple, good meals and it was a bonus if the ingredients didn’t need any refrigeration. We cooked this recipe many times on our hand-pumped Coleman stove, sitting on a picnic table, often by the light of a gas lantern. Cooking and eating it now always takes me right back to those fun family vacations.
- 1 Large package broad noodles (egg-free for Vegan)
- 1 Head Cabbage
- 1 Large onion
- Olive or Canola Oil.
- Salt and Pepper
- Boil noodles in water per instructions on the package.
- While they are cooking, chop the onion and cabbage into fairly small pieces.
- Brown the onion and cabbage in oil.
- Add in the cooked noodles after they have been drained and mix well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.