Beef-Mushroom Wine Sauce
I put this recipe together to put over meatloaf, but it would be excellent on any type of steak. It doesn’t take long to make and is lower in fat than regular gravy.
- 1 large shallot
- 6 oz. Cremini or Baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 can (10 ½ oz.) Campbell’s Beef Consomme
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 ½ tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- Black Pepper
- Slice shallot thinly, slice and chop mushrooms to desired size.
- Saute shallot and mushrooms in the olive oil over high heat until shallot is translucent the mushrooms begin to shrink.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle the flour on the mixture and stir in until the flour absorbs the fat and juices and no white flour is visible.
- Return the pan to medium heat and stir in the Beef Consomme, wine and Worcestershire Sauce and stir continuously until the sauce begins to thicken. Season with black pepper and reduce to desired consistency.
- Serve over beef and meatloaf.
This sauce is rather thin. If you would like it to be more like gravy, add more olive oil and flour.
© 2023 Copyright © 2020 by Norwest Communications Inc.