I was looking for something unique to go along with hummus rather than the usual pita bread, so I modified my pizza dough recipe a bit and came up with this flatbread recipe. It’s easy to make other than it takes a bunch of cookie sheets, but it is worth the trouble.
I topped my pieces with fresh rosemary, others with toasted sesame seeds, and some with fresh black pepper. You can be innovative here. This recipe contains a significant amount of whole grains without being overly heavy.
Fresh flat bread goes well with hummus and tapenades or you can add various toppings for a full light meal or appetizer.
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 pkg. fast rising dry yeast
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- fresh rosemary, black peper, sesame seeds or other herbs
- Put warm water in a bowl and stir in sugar.
- Sprinkle yeast on top and let it react for a few minutes.
- Stir in oats, flax seed meal and whole wheat flour and let the liquid soak in for 5 minutes or so.
- Add salt, two cups of flour and oil and knead with a bread hook on an electric mixer or by hand.
- Gradually add in more flour until a soft, but non-sticky ball of dough forms.
- Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place for at least 1/2 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Flatten the dough on your board into a circle about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the dough, pizza style, into 16 pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a ball and roll out on a floured board to a elongated piece a little less than 1/8 inch thick.
- Put the pieces on parchment covered cookie sheets.
- Whisk together the egg and 1 Tbsp. water.
- Brush each piece of dough lightly with the egg mixture and top with either rosemary, black pepper or toasted sesame seeds.
- Lightly push the toppings into the dough, and bake for 15-20 minutes till crisp and golden brown.