Butternut Squash Soup
- 4-5 pounds butternut squash (2 large)
- 2 large onions
- 2 large jalapeno peppers (optional)
- 1 large russet potato
- 1 pound carrots
- 10 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
- 3 - 4 Tbsp. fresh sage leaves (or dried sage)
- 2 tsp. sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp. Fresh-Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp. White Pepper to taste
- Salt (if needed)
- 3 bunches green gnions or chives (chopped)
12 fl. ounces
1 hour, 15 minutes
- Peel, seed and cube the squash.
- Peel and cube the carrots* and the potato.
- Chop the onions and the peppers if you are using them.
- In a large pot, saute the onions and peppers in the oil until they are translucent and just start to brown.
- Add the squash and the potato and carrots, or the potatoes to the pot and then add the broth** until the vegetables are almost covered.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- When the cooking is almost done, Chop the sage and add it to the pot.
- Use a hand blender to puree the soup.***
- Season with paprika, nutmeg, salt and white pepper.****
- Taste and add more salt and white pepper if necessary.
- Serve with chopped green onions or chives.
© 2021 Copyright © 2020 by Norwest Communications Inc.