We were caught in a January Polar Vortex with temperatures in the minus range and I needed to drive Natalie to work since her car wouldn’t start. I knew I had part of a loaf of multigrain bread left for a quick breakfast of toast and coffee. I went to slice the bread, but mold had beat me to it. Panic! I looked in the refrigerator and the closest thing I had to bread was a package of corn tortillas, but toasted tortillas wouldn’t cut it for breakfast. So. in a few minutes, this is what I came up with. Usually desperation cooking produces OK results, this one turned out superb, so it made the website. Unfortunately, my Spanish vocabulary is very limited.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 medium onion
- 2 medium Jalapeno peppers
- 1 tsp. olive oil for frying
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 4 corn tortillas, 6 inch
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/3 cup prepared salsa
- 1/3 cup guacomole or avocado
- Dice the onions and jalapeno and fry in the oil until the start to brown.
- Beat the eggs with a whisk and add the black pepper to the mix.
- Add the eggs to the skillet and scramble and add 1/2 of the cheese to the mixture and remove from heat.
- Preheat your broiler.
- Wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 1-5 or 20 seconds.
- Line a small sheet pan with foil or parchment. Divide the eggs into four parts. Fill half of each tortilla with eggs and then fold over the other half of the tortilla. Put them on the sheet pan and hold it closed with a couple of toothpicks.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over and put them under the broiler until the cheese melts and starts to brown.
- Put a layer of Arugula on each plate and then top with the filled tortillas. Remove the toothpicks and top with the salsa. Serve a small scoop of guacamole on the side.
You can add whatever you want to the scrambled eggs depending on your preferences. If you don’t have guacamole, diced avocado with a squeeze of lemon or lime can be served on the side.