Señor Marc’s Gazpacho
This is an end of summer recipe when the garden is yielding more bounty than you know what to do with. It is a great summer meal served with fresh cornbread. I went through many Gazpacho recipes and finally developed this one after lots of experimentation. This is a wonderful way to celebrate the gift of summer and the abundance of the earth with family and friends.
- 1 49 ½ oz. Can of chicken broth. (Yes, it’s a strange number but that’s how it is sold. Substitute vegetable broth for vegetarian or Vegan)
- 3 Cucumbers, seeded, peeled and diced.
- 1 Large onion, diced
- 3 Large green peppers, diced.
- 1 Hot banana pepper, diced
- 10-15 Large tomatoes, diced
- 4 Avocados, not overly ripe.
- 10 Garlic cloves, chopped
- ¾ c Oregano leaves, chopped fine
- ½ c Olive oil.
- ½ c Chopped almonds (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Ice cubes
- Heat chicken broth to boiling.
- Add 3 chopped tomatoes, 3 chopped garlic cloves and ¼ of the oregano. Simmer for ½ hour.
- Dice the remaining vegetables and mix with the oregano in a large bowl, except the garlic and hot pepper.
- Blend the oil almonds, garlic and hot pepper in the food processor until well pureed. Pour over the vegetable mixture and toss until well blended.
- Cool the broth mixture with the ice cubes and pour over the vegetables.
- Chill before serving.
- Garnish with jalapeño peppers, almonds and green onions if desired.
Garnish with jalapeño peppers, almonds and green onions if desired. You'll definitely want to serve this with fresh cornbread.
You can substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth if you want to be totaly vegetarian.
© 2023 Copyright © 2020 by Norwest Communications Inc.