Shitake, Pea & Rice Salad
This is a great cold summer side dish. We take this to Ravinia often.
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup tarragon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 medium red onion chopped fine.
- 1 ½ cup frozen green peas
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup toasted almonds, slivered
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 12 ounces fresh shitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup Uncle Ben’s white rice
- ½ cup wild rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Whisk together the first 6 ingredients to make the Sweet & Sour Dressing. Set aside.
- Add the wild rice to the water and microwave for 10 minutes on high, covered.
- Add white rice, 1 Tbsp. of sesame oil and cranberries. Microwave 8 minutes on high.
- Then microwave 16 minutes on Roast/Bake or ½ power.
- Let cool, then stir and chill in the refrigerator.
- Sauté mushrooms in the rest of the sesame oil for 3 or 4 minutes, then add the peas and cook over reduced heat until the peas are tender – about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the peppers and onions and mix with the dressing and chill for at least an hour.
- Add vegetable mixture and almonds to cooked rice and refrigerate.
© 2023 Copyright © 2020 by Norwest Communications Inc.