Tamil (Madras) – Father Britto’s Potato Dip
Father Britto Berchmans was an assistant pastor in our parish several years ago who came to us from India. Britto came to some of our Friday night gatherings and cooked a few scrumptious Indian meals for us. This is one of my favorite recipes. This is served as an appetizer, but I think it is wonderful reheated for breakfast. You would have it in place of hash brown potatoes.
- 3 Tbsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Large onions sliced into strips
- 2 Small chopped onions
- 2 Chopped tomatoes
- 2 Chopped jalepeno peppers
- 12 Medium potatoes (peeled)
- 1 ½ Tbsp Tumeric
- 1 tsp Salt (to taste)
- 4 c Water
- 2 in Piece chopped Ginger
- Sauté mustard seed in hot oil for a minute or so and then add onions, peppers, tomatoes and ginger and sauté until tender.
- Add potatoes, tumeric, salt and water.
- Simmer over low heat until thick. (About 45minutes or so) Stir occasionally and be careful bottom does not burn.
- Serve with Paratha, an all purpose flour bread that you can find in an Indian food store. Paratha is fried in a skillet without grease.
© 2023 Copyright © 2020 by Norwest Communications Inc.