When Natalie and I go to St. Louis to visit Kevin, Katy, and Evan, we usually have breakfast at one of the First Watch restaurants. They are a breakfast/lunch only restaurant and their menu is unique with fresh and healthy foods cooked with care. On our last visit there, I discovered they had a cookbook, which I bought. Included was a recipe for their seasoning used in much of their cooking, First Watch seasoning. But, of course, I always adjust and modify recipes. (I can’t help myself.) I increased the spices a bit and added the Smoked Paprika.
So here’s my version which I call St. Louis Seasoning in order to avoid any copyright and trademark issues.
- 1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt*
- 1/3 cup ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
- Mix all of the ingredients together thoroughly. Store in a tightly sealed container.
- Keep it on your counter, you’ll use it a lot.
*If you decide to use Morton Kosher Salt or regular salt, cut the amount of salt in half.