Hummus (Basic Recipe)
Hummus is a staple of North Africa and the Middle East. This is my own recipe that has less fat than others as I don’t use Tahini which is high in fat. Hummus can be enhanced and modified in many ways. We usually serve it with whole wheat pita bread triangles that have been brushed with Olive Oil and toasted in the oven. This is a quick, easy, healthy and delicious recipe.
- 2 15 oz. cans Garabanzo Beans (Chickpeas)
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic
- 1/4 C Sesame seeds (Toasted)
- 1/4 C Water (Approximate)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 Dash of Cayenne pepper
- 1 Dash of Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Toast the sesame seeds in a frying pan until they become fragrant and start to brown.
- Put the beans, garlic, lemon juice, sesame seeds, and spices in a food processor and start blending.
- Slowly add enough water to make a smooth mixture.
- Blend very well and slowly add the Olive Oil to the running food processor.
- Finish blending and serve.
© 2023 Copyright © 2020 by Norwest Communications Inc.