Parsnip and Parmesan Bruschetta with Arugula
- 1 long French baguette
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 – 4 large parsnips
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove – chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup parmesan (shaved)
- 4 tablespoons EVOO
- Aleppo pepper (or paprika)
- Cut the French bread at an angle into 24 x 1/3-inch slices.
- Spray with Olive Oil and then sprinkle with white pepper.
- Bake at 350° until lightly browned on the edges. About 8 – 10 minutes.
- Top and tail the parsnips then peel them and cut them in quarters lengthways. if they have very white woody center, remove this then cut the parsnip into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Microwave the parsnips in a little water for 4 minutes, stir and then for another 4 minutes or until soft.
- Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan, add the parsnips and the garlic clove. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add in the water and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove the parsnips from the heat and add them to a food processor along with the 3 tablespoons of EVOO. Puree to a smooth spread. Check your seasoning. Allow to cool.
- Remove the stems from the arugula and toss with a little olive oil to coat.
- Spread the toast with a generous layer of the parsnip spread. Add 3 or 4 arugula leaves.
- Then top with shaved Parmesan cheese, and finish with a sprinkle of Aleppo pepper.
You can substitute Paprika for the Aleppo pepper, they are similar in taste. The Aleppo pepper is more granular and I think provides better visual appeal.
© 2023 Copyright © 2020 by Norwest Communications Inc.